Friday, April 4, 2014

Borax Bonus

So remember that old dish cloth that I was using to cover my food processor with? It had seriously just come out of the dryer. I was cleaning up after I had made laundry soap and wiped the counter down. When I rinsed the wash cloth, the water was grey. The counters were also freshly cleaned, so I'm guessing that all of that dirt was still in the wash cloth. Gross! That just goes to show how much better the homemade stuff is.

Anyway, I've been using the Borax to clean with (the outside of the box has a ton of info on how you can use it to clean). Then i got a wonderful, awful idea.

Wet cloth and Borax in hand, I headed to my bathroom. I live in Utah and we have hard water, which leaves hard water stains everywhere. I do have a brand new, never installed water softener downstairs, but that is a story for another day. I've tried everything on the hard water, the best thing that I've found is The Works at the dollar store. The smell overtakes me and I end up giving up. A streaky tub and a headache are all I have to show for it.  

No judging...here is my tub streaks and all. I've darkened the picture a little so you can see them better.

 Close up of the streaks - regular lighting

Wiped off with the wash cloth.  No scrubbing. You can still see streaks below where I didn't wipe it.
Seriously! No scrubbing. No smell. No headache.  Of course I jumped right in and washed out the entire tub - not! (jr. high flash back). That is a job for another day. I wonder what else I can use Borax for.

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! I need to try this! I have tried EVERYTHING else on my old stained tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I need to have mine refinished or something, but for now at least it doesn't look dirty all of the time :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I just found your site. I have hard water also I cant wait to try this. Is this just regular borax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me :) It is the borax laundry booster. There is a picture of it on the previous post below. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome. I HATE cleaning the tub, but if it's as easy as you make it seem, I'm definitely game!

    ReplyDelete