Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Round Robins

No, that is not a typo, I've done lost my mind and have joined two Round Robins.  Basically, we had too many people that wanted to participate in our first Round Robin, so Robyn made a second one.

What happens is, each person makes an 18" square center for our own quilt. We send it along with a little fabric and a note listing our likes and dislikes.  Each month, we trade blocks and each person adds a border to the block that they've received.  We don't see our block again until the end, when we've received a full quilt back that all of our friends have worked on.  Make sense?

Here is an example...Here is Natalie's original block, I don't think she has my blog address. Natalie, if you do...look away now!!!

This is what I did with it:

I just love it! I actually wanted to keep this one, but I passed it on to the next person.  My center was a (boring) Dresden plate, and believe it or not, I didn't take a picture of it. It was grays and yellows on a white background. With the pressure on, I couldn't figure out what to make and I was afraid of sending something out there that I was really attached to. When we all met to exchange, everyone was saying that they had the same problem. It is a good exercise in giving up creative control :)

For Robyn's Round Robin, I went with the Ghastly's. This fabric has been laying around just waiting for me to figure out what to do with.
It really is quite fun. We're all sneaking around showing each other what we've done and asking for advice. We'll be exchanging these next week, so I'll be sure to get pictures :)

2 comments:

  1. I like what you added for your friends center. Hope you keep showing pictures of the other rounds you do on other quilts.
    It will be interesting to see what the end products are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you picked for your friends next round. Please post finished quilts for your quilt and your friends.

    ReplyDelete