Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Use Up That sCRAP!

The week before my Mom's 64th birthday, she was laid off - I know! Then about two weeks later, her sister passed away unexpectedly. It has obviously been a really hard few weeks for her. I thought she could use a pick me up so I pulled out a layer cake that I had laying around. It was one that I bought on sale, but never got around to using. I cut the layer cake up to make a Block of the Month project for my mom. Every two to three weeks, she'll receive a package in the mail with a block pattern and precut pieces. Hopefully it will give her a little something to keep her hands busy.
 Anywho...I was left with a bunch of scraps that were too big to toss and too few to keep.
Marion and I were talking about what to do with these types of scraps, then we came up with a fun idea.  Rather than store the scraps for some future project that we may never get to, we could make a 12" block. We'll just keep using up the scraps as we go. Eventually, we'll have enough 12" blocks for a scrappy quilt. Here is my first block.
We're committed to use up the crap Scraps! Feel free to join us and use the button on your blog.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, your poor mother! :( That is such a sweet gift of love you've made for her. It's sure to melt her heart and bring her a smile.

    ReplyDelete