Monday, June 11, 2012

Changing

As we get older, we learn things about ourselves.  One thing I've learned is that while I'm relatively good at dealing with changing situations, I love the consistency of my surroundings. In CA a friend of mine would switch all of her furniture around every few months.  Her apartment always looked so cute and it inspired me to go home and do the same. It gave me anxiety. When you come to my house, you will find the my couch in exactly the same place that it was when our family moved in.

Over the years this has transferred over into seasonal decorating, with the exception of Christmas.  (It also may be why I can only wear solid shirts, but that is a story for a different day:). My solution to seasonal decorating is my seasonal quilt rack.
Out with the old April Showers quilt (good for April and May) and on with the new summer quilt.
Summer doesn't officially start until June 20th, but this is more of a "the kids are out of school for the summer" quilt.
I made it way back in 2007, when I first started quilting.  It was one of those "let's try paper piecing" moments.  You know, back when you first started quilting and everything was new and exciting and you were naive to the amount of work involved :) It was also one of the first quilts that I had finished.
One of my favorite things about the seasonal quilts - you don't have to dust them:)

PS: I used these free paper piecing patterns for the frog and the turtle from Paper Panache. Then added borders and sashing that made sense at the time, but I don't remember the exact sizing.  All of the fabric was probably from Joann's because I didn't know about quilt shop quality fabric back then.


4 comments:

  1. So what your saying is that I should be dusting all of the other stuff...just not the quilts? Crap!!! I've been doing it all wrong :p ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt!!! Want to share the pattern? I'm a changing girl my self I always want to change the furniture around but I cant do much in my house!!! Too small! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am not good with furniture changes. If it works, leave well alone!

    But I also do not like patterned blouses. I get tired of them very quickly. So, solid colours it is!

    ReplyDelete