Sunday, June 3, 2012

Blessing Dress

When little miss was still in her mommy's belly, I knew that I wanted to make her a blessing dress.  I sat in on a class in St. George a couple of years ago and saw some beautiful blessing dresses that the teacher had made.  She gathered vintage fabric, lace and notions and created beautiful dresses.  While I am not a dress maker, and in fact have a love hate (mostly hate) relationship with fabric, I knew that one day when I was old and gray and more experienced in sewing I would make blessing gowns for all of my grandchildren.

Well, as you know my first grandchild arrived years before I ever imagined she would.  While I did turn 40 and have the first of my gray hairs showing up, I am not any more experienced at making dresses.  I didn't want her to miss out on having a blessing dress, so I set to work.

The slip came first because it was just two pieces and didn't have any sleeves to deal with.
For the dress, I bought fabric that all ready had lace and pin tucking on it.  Cheating yes, but when you are a novice, you take what you can get.
Then I through caution to the wind and did a little pin tucking on the bodice myself.  It's really not as hard as you would think it would be.
I did hand stitch the little lace with pearls around the bottom of both the dress and the slip and around the bodice of the dress.

Overall, I was happy with the way it turned out and I only cursed a little when putting in the sleeves in.

I'm not sure if she'll wear the dress for her blessing or the one that her mom wore when she was blessed.  Either way, Avery will have a blessing dress that her grandma made to share with a daughter of her own one day.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, that dress is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is BEAUTIFUL! Great job, Grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I am sooo impressed!! What a blessing for Avery to have & keep for her daughter or even grandaugter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love it!! Great Job April!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing all the pretty detail of this darling dress!! Avery is one lucky girl with you for a g-ma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete