Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It was a Ghastly weekend

Not really, but wasn't the reference cute?  What is ghastly is the way I've been eating.  I really need to stop my wicked pop tart ways.
This weekend I spent much of my time on the couch watching conference and binding a couple of quilts.  There was a two hour window that I ran up and picked up some of Henry Alexander's Ghastly fabric.  Isn't it great?  It is sitting on the shelf inspiring me while I'm finishing up a few projects.
It was really nice to get all of that binding done.  Binding used to be the worst part of the quilt for me, but now that I know how to do it, I love it.  There is something therapeutic about it, like wrapping up a big project in a neat little package. 

After all of that sewing for work and getting some pad orders out, a little recreational sewing was in order.  
These two silly boys won't be smiling so much after they get there wisdom teeth taken out this coming Wednesday.  In anticipation of all of the ice packs that they will be rotating through, I made these little pouches to hold them.  
The outside of the bag is a super soft flannel left over from the back of a quilt.  I lined the inside of the bag with PUL and added some Velcro to close. The zip lock bags will slip inside.  I think four bags will do - one for each cheek. 

While cutting out the flannel, I was talking to Ella and she mentioned seeing a recipe on line for the soft gel ice packs.  Brilliant!  3/4 cup of rubbing alcohol and 2 cups of water seemed to do the trick. Any ideas for soft food besides pudding and jello?

5 comments:

  1. Your Ice bag covers are way cute!!! And I want to see all of those quilts you just finished in person???
    Tell the boys good luck with teeth pulling!! I don't envy them at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Oatmeal (or Cream of Wheat or grits, depending on their preference). Yogurt. Ice cream. Broth. Smoothies.

    Good luck to all of you in this adventure! I hope that they recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make jello with 2C hot water and 2C yogurt (plain or vanilla) and serve with cool whip. Smooth!!!!!!!! and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac and cheese was my go-to food when I got my teeth pulled!
    love the ice packs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oatmeal and smoothies for me, although I was sick of them after a couple days.

    ReplyDelete