Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baby Blanket

As you know, my first grandchild - a granddaughter - is due to arrive in April. I started making this blanket at a retreat before I knew she was a she.  Frankly, I was still getting used to the idea of being a grandma.

Over the past several weeks, the blanket came together piece by piece and peace by peace.  There is definitely something therapeutic about making a quilt. As I was sewing along, I imagined the baby.  Her little lips, her little nose, her red hair - because in my mind she has red hair.
The baby, became a baby to me and no longer just the idea of a baby.  Does that make sense?  Aaron and Tasha's daughter.  Josh and Sara's little niece. Our granddaughter.
I added minkie on the back for extra cuddles and quilted it in a design that I had never tried before.  I don't think she'll notice my mistakes.
 The only thing left to do is add a label and the baby:)

12 comments:

  1. Adorable quilt! I bet you are all getting exciting for the new little baby to arrive and I am sure she will be adorable, red hair or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I know exactly what you mean about the baby becoming more real as you make the quilt, not sure what it is, but there's something there. It is a wonderful quilt and I LOVE the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How BEAUTIFUL!! I'm she will treasure that her entire life :) What a blessing to have a gramma as gifted as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! She is going to be one lucky granddaughter to have you for a grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt. Congratulations on being a grandma. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of you for trying something new...in the quilting...it looks fantastic and I didn't see ANY mistakes!!! this is going to be the best wrapped baby in town!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two years ago I became a grandmother (GG). It does take time to get use to it, but when they appear it is just like everyone says, "why did we not have them 1st.". 3 granddaughters and quilts later. Heaven. I'm sure your experience will be the same or better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful...just like everything else you do. She's going to be one lucky girl to have you as her grandma!

    ReplyDelete