Monday, October 17, 2011

Love of Fons and Porter

"Your quilt arrived safely and it's already in editorial"

Those are some of the most beautiful words I've ever heard. From Fons and Porter none the less!

The fabric arrived from Clothworks and I paused long enough to snap one quick - muddy - picture. The fabric really is bright and happy - you should take a look - it's Spring Umbrellas by Masha D'yans.

Then I jumped in to the process - it really is a process. First there was designing the quilt, submitting the idea, then holding my breath waiting for approval. I reworked it a few times then heard the good news. The contract arrived, then the fabric. The quilt went together easily, then the quilting - oh the quilting. It has been two years and I can stipple with the best of them, but for a magazine? The self doubt crept back in a little and I considered asking a friend, in the end a few bike rides talking with said friend helped ease my anxiety. It came out rather well if I do say so myself :)

The snag - I hadn't ordered enough fabric for the binding. I guess I was bound to make a mistake on my first quilt submission. With my tail between my legs I asked for more fabric and was graciously sent a next day package in the mail. Once it was packed up and shipped off, there was still the little matter of the instructions. Thankfully, I didn't have to send full instructions, just basic block construction. A bio and a photo. Egads! I can't share the quilt just yet, but how about that photo. Not my favorite thing to do - but since it's going to be in a magazine nation wide, what the heck!
That was a few months back...I need to buy some more hair dye :)


4 comments:

  1. Great photo!! Can't wait to see the quilt. Look at you all famous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!!! Can't wait to see it in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW EXCITING!! GREAT picture too ;)

    ReplyDelete