Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Painting Some Sunshine

Happy New Year! I hope you all had a great holiday season with your families. With the cold weather here, we tucked in and enjoyed family time indoors and out of the stores.

Besides all of the decorating, resting, relaxing, baking, eating, and general crafting, I found myself knee deep in house painting. During the first week of December, as the skies were starting to get more grey, I knew that I needed a change. The grey/green walls that seemed so tranquil when we first moved in and painted, were getting me down. Which is weird because the grey that I have in my bedroom and bathroom are uplifting...hmm. After much debate, long conversations and finally running across the perfect colors (thanks Kim), we made a trip to the hardware store and picked up some paint. Cheaper and healthier than antidepressants. (I took the pictures on my cell phone, so they aren't the best, but you get the idea)
The yellow or Homemade Butterscotch, in the main entry area made sense from the start - bright and happy. The burgundy or Spiced Tea, in the family room seemed a little counter productive - a dark color in a dark room. We realized that trying to brighten up that room wasn't working. We needed to go with the energy of the space and make it a warm cozy area.
It took three days to paint, one for the yellow, one day off since it was Sunday, and the burgundy on the last day. I got a little cocky and didn't bother with taping off or a drop cloth other than a towel under the paint tray. Have I told you of my love for painting? Call me, let's get together and paint :). It turned out great and we all love it. Sara even asked me why we were upgrading our house. Now that's a complement.
Now if we could just find some gently used couches for a great price...

1 comment:

  1. April...I wish you lived closer to me....my house is in dire need of some color!
    Your house looks great!

    ReplyDelete