Thursday, January 6, 2011

Holiday Sewing

Now that the holidays have come and all of the gifts have been opened, it's time for a little show and tell. This was the block of the month that we were working on at church. The actual block of the month was a nativity scene on the center block and blue and gold star blocks. I made that one for myself, it's not quite done yet, and at the same time I made this variation for my mom.

I snapped a quick picture before I shipped it off, and wish I would have taken a few more detailed shots. The white fabrics were various white prints that show up as solid whites in the picture, but you get the idea. The center block was hand embroidered using a pattern borrowed from a friend. I'm really loving the block of the month thing - a good sized project one piece at a time. You just have to be careful not to get involved in too many BOM projects :)
The other project for the holidays were sweater stockings. Remember that pile that I picked up at the swap and share? They turned into these stockings. There were two more that shipped out before I took pictures. One of those was a felted wool sweater and turned out really cute. Note to self: take pictures before you ship out gifts next time. The inspiration came from a class that our quilt guild gave. I went for the companionship and had no intentions of making my own, but they were so cute, quick to put together and the possibilities are endless. Moose on the Porch wrote all about it here.

Another note to self: scour the thrift stores for cute sweaters during the summer while the supply is still abundant.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I'm going to have to have you show me how to make those stockings! Those are adorable!!

    And I LOVE your block of the month quilt for your mom! I have wanted to make a wintertime quilt and those blocks are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! Love, love, love it!

    And those adorable stockings...well I love them too!

    I was I had your craftiness. Can you teach me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. April I love the stockings...you inspire me! I only wish you still lived here! Keep it up girl!!!

    ReplyDelete