Monday, July 19, 2010

Hippie Genes

Aaron may have gotten his brown eyes from his dad and his curly hair from someone way back on the family tree, but he definitely got his hippie genes from his mama :)
He couldn't have been happier with his Hippie Jean Quilt. This quilt was actually a last minute gift that I pulled together just in time for his 16th birthday. I rounded up all of the outgrown and worn out jeans that were in the pile waiting to go to the thrift store and started cutting. While cutting I realized that going with a typical block quilt was going to take way too much time, plus it didn't feel right for Aaron. You know how the quilt chooses the person? I started piecing together legs, pockets and miscellaneous shaped pieces until I had a huge block - just like crazy quilting. If you look close, you can see how the quilt is basically four huge blocks made up of the smaller mismatched pieces. I backed it with a brown flannel sheet that was also destined for the thrift store and quilted along all of the seams. No batting - it's heavy enough on it's own. I clipped the edges so they would fray and popped it in the washing machine with some home-made laundry detergent.

Now it can be found on his bed, on the couch or on the floor - just like a teenager's hippie blanket should be.


4 comments:

  1. I likie! You're such a cool hippie mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blanket, and it gives me an idea for what to do with all of my leftover denim (i'm making a denim braided rug).

    I've given you an award :)

    http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete