Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Days of Our Lives

As you might have noticed in the last few posts, we've been struggling lately. My hubby was laid off, our car broke down, we fixed it which came at the price of a couple of hundred dollars and a few stitches in my husbands finger. The car broke down again for an entirely unrelated problem and is now sitting and waiting for more repairs. All of our summer plans have been put on hold until a new job is found. Then our dear, sweet, Tomaso lost his battle and is no longer with us.

That is just a short summary crammed into a few sentences, but I'm sure you have felt the heart ache, stress and emotional drain that these types of trials bring...-sigh-... Along with the trials have come many blessings in the form of support from family and friends, drawing closer to each other in our immediate family and a deeper sense of faith.

And as the sun still comes up every morning, our lives move forward...

Our local quilt show is coming up and we've been planing and meeting for a few months now. Something new this year is a Fabric Challenge Quilt category for next year. Does that make sense? You buy a fat quarter of inspiration fabric (proceeds go to the museum) and you make a quilt using at least half of the fat quarter. Since this is the first year that we are doing it, we don't have samples to display. So we've staged a mini challenge. All of the ladies on the board took home a fat quarter of challenge fabric and are making quilts to display.
The inspiration fabric was not my first choice, but that is sort of the point. It's not that I don't like the fabric, it's just that it was just random and didn't really go with anything that I had. After trying to pull together some type of heart theme that kept landing me somewhere in the 1980's, I gave up and decided to hide the fabric.What do you think? Do you see the little pieces in there? The quilt can only be 120 inches in diameter so it's pretty small. After all of the procrastination and worrying about that fabric, it's starting to grow on me. I think I like it.

7 comments:

  1. I really like what you have done. The fabric was um, busy to say the least and proves what I always say, anything cut small enough looks ok!! lol :) I really love the stars and wee 9-patch blocks, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I just had a thought, your quilt is a bit like your life right now, the sad, and not so nice pieces are being mixed in by the Master Quilter to make a beautiful whole! I hope this doesn't sound to cheesy, but you know, I like to see life worked out in things around us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You continually amaze me...we miss you here...I love all the great creative things you make time to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always come up with such awesome ideas! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt even more in the picture than when you described it. Can't wait to see it finished! (Can't wait to see mine finished either for that matter!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't say that the fabric was my favorite,(for one I will not buy)but you did an amazing job at making it blend right into place. nice work! I need to sew up something now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,
    Well it seems I'm going against the flow of opinion here...:o) I love the fabric and would like to use it in a quilt for my granddaughter, could you tell me what it is please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete