Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quick Baby Gift

Whenever I need a quick go to baby gift, I love giving a receiving blanket. Sometimes, usually for the cute girly blankets, I crochet around the edges. Other times, I sew a binding on. They are uber easy. Just take two pieces of flannel about 36" square, place them wrong sides together, then add a binding. No need to quilt or tie, the flannel holds itself together somehow. They are a nice size, light weight and yet not too light and they go together quickly. The binding is cut at 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" whichever you feel like and which ever one pops into your mind when you are cutting the fabric. This binding was pieced together with some scraps I had laying around. When I have skinny scraps left over, I cut them into 2 1/2" strips and throw them in the binding bin. When it comes time to piece together a binding the pieces are already cut.
Looks like I forgot to clip a thread :) . What is your go to baby gift?

2 comments:

  1. Those are adorable blankets! A friend of mine made one like those for my third daughter and we used it until it wore out!

    My go-to gifts for babies are crocheted blankets (http://lines-inpleasantplaces.blogspot.com/2009/04/baby-blanket-crocheted-using-odds-and.html) and knitted bibs (http://lines-inpleasantplaces.blogspot.com/2010/04/six-bibs-for-six-days-worth-of-meals.html).

    I'm waiting on a shipment of yarn now so I can knit a half-dozen or so woolen soakers for two friends who plan to use cloth diapers. I've knit them before and they are fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this blanket on a little boy at church and thought it was your handiwork! Too Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete