Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Snow Showers Bring May Flowers

Is that how the saying goes...because we had a fresh layer of snow on the ground this morning, and I'm not April foolin' ya.Oh well, I'll have to bring a little bit of spring into my day in other ways - like fun fabric.

So we took 6 classes down at the retreat in Saint George. Two of those were quilts that I haven't finished yet, I'll post those another time. The other projects were all finished by the time we headed home. First there was the mystery bag. Clue #1 arrived long before class with cutting instructions for our fabric. It did give you little hints like main fabric or accent fabric, but other than that it was a mystery. I felt a little like Nancy Drew :). Once we were at class, we would get the next clue with the next step. In the end, I love how my bag turned out. Shannon was an awesome teacher and is the local bag lady, so I can look forward to taking more of her classes. I also won this little gem in her drawing and she's made this block from my Jelly Roll Quilt Along pattern - what a small world.Next was the charm pack table runner. This one was simple and so cute. I used a Mary Engelbreit charm pack by Moda that I had sitting around waiting for just the right project. You can't see the back, but I used a large red gingham print. It reminds me of picnics on a warm day.
My all time favorite project was the Abby Lane scrap bag. Again, an adorable pattern by a great company. I actually bent the rules a little and sewed directly on the cutting line for the flower. The petals came out perfect and rounded - and those fabrics - yum! Side note, the darkest aqua fabric in the center of the flower is the one I was cutting when I cut my finger - which by the way is doing so much better. I've also invested in one of these.The last class and the last finished project was this pair of slippers. I love them, but they are just the tiniest bit too small for my daughter. Some of the ladies used minky to line the inside of the slippers which made them super soft. Next time :) The pattern is Happy Feet Slippers by Favorite Things.So that's it for now. I wish I could post a picture of all the fun we had. I've learned that sewing retreats are much more than the projects, but the sisterhood and fun spent with kindred spirits. Not having to cook or clean wasn't so bad either ;)

6 comments:

  1. April, sounds like fun...You amaze me with all that you get done...do you know where we can find the pattern for the slippers?? Sounds like a project I would like to have sit on my sewing table for two or three years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...I love the scrap bag and especially the table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicki! I've added the info for the pattern on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, Love, LOVE that table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh....they are all awesome! I wanna be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete