Thursday, March 4, 2010

Turning 70

Nagymama (grandma in Hungarian) came for a visit. She brought some beautiful embroidered items that I'll share with you later. She just turned 70 - so exciting! Over the years we've given her all of the regular gifts, necklaces, sweaters, movie passes, scrapbooks, pictures...so I was a little stumped for this birthday. What do you get for someone that is turning 70? A quilt of course!

So I pulled out a bunch of fabric that I had been saving just for the right occasion and got to work on a disappearing 9 patch. I love this tutorial! I used large blocks so the quilt would go together faster - cut sew, cut then sew back together again. It came out just as I had imagined...then in typical April fashion, I couldn't part with it. Just something about it reminded me of my grandma. I'm not sure if it was the style of the quilt, the fabrics, colors or what, but it felt like grandma's yard on a spring day. Laundry hanging, the smell of grass, the crispness of the air... you know what I mean?This is my Grandma long before she was my grandma:) 1934 with 4 of her 12 children.

While I love the quilt and can't part with it, it also wasn't the right one of my MIL. It's like at Ollivander's you don't choose the wand, the wand chooses you -my Harry Potter roots are showing again- I feel the same way about quilts. They choose who they belong to. Luckily, and also in true quilter's fashion, I had an unfinished quilt top laying around waiting for the right inspiration to hit. Funny how inspiration and desperation are so closely related sometimes;)

So to make a long story short, the new quilt was finished just in time. And well received...
The half square triangles were from a charm pack and the placement of the blocks were inspired by Konda's book. By the way, have you seen her jelly roll quilt along. I'm designing the next block in the series, so go check it out!

5 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! And doesn't she look terrific! Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes -- how come sometimes you have to be desperate for inspiration to hit?

    I love that setting for the half square triangles! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm sure she loved it. Now show us the one you couldn't part with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Amy. I also want to see the one you kept! Soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the placement, and the clours.I bet she was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete