Monday, March 29, 2010

The Horry Story

Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments and well wishes! You all are too kind.

So the horror story...don't worry, it's not too graphic. Just retelling the story makes me a little week in the knees.

I was cutting the very last square for my trip to Saint George - not the heavy denim blocks, but one 5x5 square from regular old fabric. All week I had a strange foreboding that something bad was going to happen. I had been so careful while cutting because it ran through my mind a couple of times that cutting myself would be awful.

Then it happened. When I went to run the rotary cutter along the edge of the ruler, I must have nicked the ruler instead of getting it onto the fabric. It ran along the top of the ruler and across my finger even though my finger was a good inch out of harms way. I grabbed my finger and ran around a little alternating between "I knew it was going to happen!" and "Lord please help me!" I managed to make it to the freezer to grab an ice pack and a wrap a dish cloth around my finger. Then called my husband sobbing because I was afraid I was going to pass out. I don't do well with injuries - especially my own. He drove home and took me to the doctor. The lady at the front counter and the nurse did a good job of getting my mind off of my finger by asking about the sewing retreat. The shots burned of course, but the worst part was the feeling of my numb finger moving around while the doctor stitched it. Once I realized that I was laying on the table with my husband on one side and the doctor on the other and it didn't matter if I passed out, the panicked feeling subsided. I relaxed, saw stars and concentrated on not vomiting. Thankfully he was able to use some sterie strips and I only had to have two stitches.

So off I went on my trip the next day where I met some awesome ladies and sewed for three days with my finger in a splint - to keep the stitches from tearing - insert gag sound here. I did have a few flash back moments where I caught myself making a face, especially when another lady at the retreat cut her finger - but they were able to fix her up with a little super glue.

I'll be back here in the next few days to share the projects that we made and the fun that we had. But for now, I've got to go sew a few pads...plus, typing without your left index finger is a little tricky ;)

3 comments:

  1. This happened to me in October. However, I literally cut part of my left pointer finger OFF. My husband rushed me to the emergency room, and they were able to save it. They used 10 stitches to sew my fingertip back on. My doctor said this was the worst rotary cutting accident he had ever seen! I did it the exact same way you did. I didn't have the rotary cutter on the fabric like I thought. I am still numb in some areas, so I hope I didn't damage all the nerves on the tip of my finger. Will we learn our lesson? I know I did! Hope you heal super fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NOES! I am so glad all in all your finger is OK. I think as sewers and especially quilters, our hands, sheesh, well I can not begin to tell you the thoughts I have! Especially because I work in nursing and see so many amputees. I freak sometimes too much about silly thoughts.

    @Nicky! Heavens, I am glad they were able to save it and I hope over time the nerves come back!

    Be Blessed Ladies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this has also happened to me I could not believe I was so stupid but these things happen hope your finger gets better quickly love Nicole x

    ReplyDelete