Monday, March 15, 2010

Free Quilt Block Pattern and Free Quiet Book Pattern

A little while ago, I was asked to design a quilt block for Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along 2010. What made the invitation even more special was that it came from my good friend Konda over at Moose On The Porch Quilts.

The tricky part about it - I've never used Jelly Roll strips before. We've all seen them at quilt shops, but for those of you, like me, that have never taken one home, I'll share what exactly a Jelly Roll contains. It's basically 40 - 2 1/2 inch strips the length of the fabric from one designer or line of fabric. Usually they are 40 different fabrics, occasionally you will get a repeat of one or two of the fabrics.

So the idea was to design a 12" finished block, which means a 12 1/2" block, containing the Jelly Roll strips with some background fabric. I got right to work procrastinating, because after all, that is the first step of any project. Then when it was getting down to the wire I drew a few sketches and came up with a picture frame type of block. After messing around with some fabric, I scraped the block and started over - the second (or is that third) step of any project. Finally I ditched the paper and pencil and cut some fabric into 2 1/2" strips. Inspiration hit and I came up with what I thought was the perfect quilt block.
Pictures were taken, instructions documented and I was able to bask in my glory once I clicked the send email button. The following day Amber stopped by for a visit and I was beaming when I showed her the block. After the oohing and ahhing that friends do for eachother. She pointed out that the block looked pretty big. Our conversation went something like this:
Amber: Wow, that's a big block.
Me: I know! 12 inches is pretty big.
Amber: Are you sure it's 12 inches?
Me: Well, let me measure it.

Had I measured it the night before? Of course not - I was too afraid that the block would come out 1/4" or so off. Then I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night.

So I measured it. It was 16". Back to the drawing board.

Luckily I was able to do a little tucking and pinning and the end result was still true to my original design, but most importantly it came out to 12 1/2" which is 12" finished. :) Oh, and the center is one solid block, not the pieced white and floral block below.
So hop on over to Moose on the Porch Quilts to join the fun and get free instructions for my 12" quilt block. Oh, and speaking of free, I'll be giving out a free PDF copy of The Fairy Tale Quiet Book pattern too. You'll have two chances to win, one over at Moose on the Porch Quilts and one by leaving a comment on this post. I'll choose a winner at the end of the week.

Say "hey" to Konda for me :)

♥♥♥Comments closed - congratulations to our winner Becky!♥♥♥

16 comments:

  1. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who makes mistakes!!! Your block is really adorable! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two types of sewers--those who "wing-it" and those who enjoy the blessings of the great creations that come from the "wing-it" types. I'll be you still are able to use the original block idea someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the block! I'm enjoying Konda's quilt-along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to piece this one! I'm new to jelly rolls too! Thank you for being part of this fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have never owned a jelly roll....I drool over them and love the coordinated quilts that come from a line of fabrics, but alas, I am a gatherer of mismatched fabrics. I am signed up to do the quilt along, but will only start after I finish a baby quilt needed by SAt. Yup, first step, procrastinate....are we sisters or something????
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also new to jelly rolls. Nice to see different block designs to use -- regardless of the size!

    ReplyDelete
  7. April you crack me up! This sounds like something that I would do. So glad that I am not alone in this here world.

    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the 16" design too. THanks for the new design. Can't wait to get sewing today. Would love to win a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am looking forward to making this block. It is my first time using a jelly roll also.
    Thanks for a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I came here from Moose.. Love your blog and I can't wait to make this block!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha.....I made the block for the quilt along. I had one problem. On my pieces with the sideposts (4.5 by 2.5 pieces) TWO of the smaller patched pieces were the wrong direction...so I ripped those apart, and flipped them to sort it out. LOL. You aren't the only one that makes mistakes. We all do.

    I am glad you shared the "goof" with us. It certainly made me feel better. Plus I may use THAT block for something another day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This project is my first use of a jelly roll too, and I am loving it!

    Thanks for sharing your creative process, I LOVE this block :)

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quite book is cute. I'm sure my daughter would love for me to make her one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you did a great job on the jelly roll block - this will be a fun quilt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the block. I am enjoying the quilt along. :)

    ReplyDelete