Monday, July 6, 2009

Hello Stranger

It's been some time, how have you been? It seems that I've been swept up in the lazy days of summer. The kids and I have settled into our no rush, no schedule summer routine. Even while sitting here trying to write this post and thinking back on the past couple of weeks, it just all seems a blur...sewing, reading, hanging out...oh, I did work at the quilt show, and I did paint my bedroom this weekend - way over due. Finished a project or two, thought really hard about making strawberry jam and picked up this little beauty at a local thrift shop.

I have been looking for a bread box for some time now and was so excited when I found one like mom always had, plus it was painted a creamy white and already distressed.

This little boy shown here with his grandfather's pictures
Turned into a 15 year old young man who is now eligible for his driving permit.

and this slightly younger and less camera shy young man is apparently trying out a new look - ha! At least he can cook!

So back to those pictures of Aaron and his grandfather...a really amazing thing has happened in the past couple of weeks and now that I think about it, that may be another reason for my absence here. Without getting into a lot very personal details, my husband is originally from Argentina. His father was killed when my husband was just 4 years old and he and his mother ended up moving to the US when he was 8 years old. He has never been back to Argentina and has had virtually no contact with his family there. Over the years, we have tried to find them, but have never had any luck. Enter facebook. One unsuspecting day, he was contacted by two cousins that he didn't know he had. Names, details, and pictures were exchanged and we are now connected to our Argentine family. My Spanish is horrible and their English is broken, but we've all been able to chat a little here and there. Diego was even able to talk to his Aunt and cousins on the phone for a little while. As he heard his aunts voice, memories came flooding back. I can't begin to describe what a blessing it has been to all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I've heard of more than a few facebook reunions! How amazing to find them that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Aaron looks just like his grandpa! Too cool!

    That pic of Josh is a hoot!

    I'm so glad that Diego is finding the other members of his family. That really is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding family and reconnecting is such a wonderful thing. The internet sure has helped with that for many families!

    ReplyDelete