Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trudging Through the Muck

I've been having buyer's remorse all week. Don't get me wrong, I love my machine and the quilt rack, I'm just scared to death. All of those words of doubt keep popping into my mind. Plus thinking about all of the things that I could have bought for that price. Diego keeps telling me not to worry and that we wouldn't have spent the money on the other things any way. Still doesn't help the knot in my stomach.

A little tonic was reading Crafting a Business by Kathie Fitzgerald. It featured many different artists and how they got started - very inspiring. It even had Amy Butler. There were a couple of quotes from the book that I loved, but I can't find them so I'll paraphrase. Everyone has doubts, trust yourself, put on your boots and trudge through the muck - it will be worth it in the end. So after a good cry, I pulled up my big girl panties and I'm moving forward.

I did put a quilt on the rack and finished it. It came out really cute, but it was definitely a learning experience. That's a good thing. Managing the quilt, which way to turn it, how to stay within your quilting space. Those are all things that you can't really figure out until you just go for it. I'll post some pictures soon, I'm just trying to stay above the laundry pile - how can 90% of my wardrobe be pajama bottoms and t-shirts.

7 comments:

  1. Don't regret it. You're entering a new phase of your life ... great things are yet to come.

    I love my Prince Charming (Nolting 24" PRO) ... he is perfect for me.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about buyer's remorse. I had that when I got my machine and frame. I was scared of it and didn't touch it for six months. You'll get over it. And the best way to do that is to practice practice practice. Soon you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. I don't know what you bought, but I have a Pfaff and Inspira frame. If I can answer any questions let me know. Hang in there - and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing a quilt and trudging through the muck. Just think of me everytime you quilt and you'll know it was worth it. :o) LOL! Can't wait to see what you've done. BTW- cleaned and moved my craft room around. I have a large sack of scraps for you. Maybe you and Amber can fight over them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the encouraging words - I really needed them.

    Sandy - I love thinking of it as a new phase in my life.

    West Michigan Quilter - I might be taking you up on the offer for advice.

    Em - I'll definitely be taking you up on the scraps.

    Amber - put your boxing gloves on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good boxing match as you well know!!! always looking for new scraps to play around with! You already have outperformed anything I could've done if I'd bought a machine andhad space...soon...I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to where you are coming from although I don't craft for business. I give you a lot of credit, you are very talented. Sewing, let alone quilting is foreign to me. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, first time on your blog; found it on Posie Gets Cozy. I just bought a sewing machine (eek!) and I'm scared to open the box for all the reasons you mentioned. You have encouraged me. (Deep breaths.) Also, my husbfriend and I are recreational mtn bikers; it's neat to see your son's interest and journey to...awesomeness, I'm guessing. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete