Friday, May 22, 2009

My New Quilting Machine

I'm so excited, and I've been sick to my stomach since we brought it home. Each day, piece by piece has been added, some removed then added the right way. There have been times when it's just sat all day while I've sewn pads, made dinner, ran errands or waiting for someone to come home and hold a long awkward piece.
I'm still a little floored that I have two sewing machines and two rooms dedicated to sewing. The table for the new machine is 10 feet long, so I had to put it downstairs in the extra kitchen - ha ha - that sounds funny, but I really do have two kitchens. We were using the spare as a hang out room - hence the movie posters - for video games while we figured out if we wanted to keep the kitchen in tact or change it out. Now, all of that extra cabinet space will come in handy. I was able to keep a couch in there for the visitors and there is the wonderful wood stove to heat the room. For those of you in CA, the wood stove is not actually a stove, but a fire place of sorts. And check out that old stove. It does work, but I've only ever plugged it in to make Ableskievers on a cast iron skillet.So, there she is - Ol' Betsy. That's what my Dad always called his cars, so I think that's a good name for her. The plan is to finish the leaders that I have to sew, then practice, practice, practice. I've gotten quilting on my home machine down, and it shouldn't be too hard of a transition to Ol'Betsy, however there is a learning curve. Any tips? I know, practice, practice, practice. By the end of the summer, if not sooner, I should be up and running and accepting quilts.

8 comments:

  1. Very awesome! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that I'm seeing this magnificent piece on your blog before seeing it in person!! Wow, call me a friend...really?! Will stop by for sure now and expect a demo! you keep me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsa! Looks like fun times ahead for you getting to know Ol'Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO STINKIN' JEALOUS! Ok, so I was thinking 'I bet she got a quilting machine' but dismissed the thought ONLY because I had just been to a shop and looked at one myself and decided it wasn't the right time to buy one but left the shop feeling extremely depressed none the less. Oh, how I am jealous. I think it's time for me to go sew my green quilt. LOL
    So, when do you start? how much will you charge? Do I get any kind of discount? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS on your quilting machine ... you are going to LOVE machine quilting on a frame. I'm looking forward to see your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! That is some machine....you must have a VERY nice husband. Very cool...I can't wait to see what you make with it.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much for my Janome idea!! Happy Sewing, you will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete