Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Meet Sally

This is Sally. She is a thrift store find. My hubby and I were on a date one night and we popped into a local thrift shop- no really, it is romantic. He doesn't like, make that "hates" the thrift store, but on occasion I can con him into browsing through the book section for an hour or so while I scour the entire store looking for 50 cent treasures.

So anyway, we've been in the thrift store forever and are getting ready to check out and I spot this head sitting on the counter of a different check stand. I ditch my husband in line and hurry over (it is a thrift store, after all and one must hurry, lest their treasure is spotted by another). So I pick up the head and ask if it's for sale. It was and a bargin at $4.

A - Wow, look what I found.
D - laughs
A - Should I get it?
D - What are you going to do with it?
A - I don't know, but you never know when you might need a head. It might come in handy.

We bought her and named her Sally. On the way home, we traded off sticking her out the window peeking at other cars. Come on, you know you would've done it. Then when we got home, Diego held Sally up above his head and called the dog. She peed. Now Sally sits in various rooms, all of which the kids are freaked out to go in when she's there. Mark my words, that girl is going to come in handy some day. I can just hear it now..."What we really need is a head of some kind..."

While she waits for her big break, she's been doing a little side work as a hat model. These are her first "head shots". What do you think?The hats might go up in the Etsy shop, then again, winter is just about over...then again, it did just snow. They also might make there way to a couple of new friends. We'll have to see.

10 comments:

  1. Winter might be over in the Northern Hemisphere, but it just starting in the Southern Hemisphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really funny. I know I'd be messing with people too. I'd probably pretend to smooch and love on her when we were at a stoplight.
    I might have to get one just for the entertainment value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually snorted when you said your dog peed cos of the head. Classic. I've searched high and low for a fake head, you definitely got a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the story..I'm sitting here laughing my head off! I can picture how your kids must react, and love it. My girls would be the same way. I don't think I can stop laughing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you all should go out and buy a head...especially Amy, since she laughed her's off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Too funny. Especially the dog peeing LOL. Great head shots. I think Sally has found her niche market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only downside I see to this story is that Sally doesn't look like she has much of a sense of humor! That girl needs to lighten up and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious! I would've bought the head too. now, about your lemon cake recipe- I tried to make it on sunday. I admit I am not a great cook. but this was a disaster. I tried to bake it in a 13x9 pytex- it bubbled up all over my oven! Why do I have to be so handicapped in the kitchen!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a silly question, but you added the icing after you baked it right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Good question to ask, esp. to me. But to answer- I never even got around to making the icing. After I smelled the burning on the bottom of the oven it was all over. funny enough, after I took the cake out of the oven- still runny in the middle- we waited for it too cool a bit and sat around the counter with forks and ate the cooked part around the edges. Still very tasty. I'd just like to make it "right" next time. ;o)

    ReplyDelete