Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's Done!

Last week I finished the quilt that I have been working on for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap. Each swapper chose two colors, a season and either a doll quilt or a table runner. Once we received the info for our partners, it was up to us to make a monochromatic quilt, using either black or white as an accent color.

My partner chose red and gold and her season was fall. I haven't sent off the quilt, but I don't think I'm giving away anything. Those are pretty general colors for fall. Once I had the info in front of me, I poured over different ideas and really had a hard time with the whole color thing. I wasn't quite sure if we were supposed use both colors or one of the colors, but it is "mono"chromatic so I went with the red and used gold as an accent color rather than black or white. Was that OK? Some of the fabric had gold in it anyway so I just went with it. Plus, I don't think the quilt swap police are coming after me any time soon :)

So, I drug my husband to the fabric stores to help me pick out the right colors. Did I mention how much I agonized over this part. He was picking out fabric for the color and I kept sayint that I didn't like the design of this fabric or that. In the end, I walked out of the store with a bunch of 1/8 yard of fabric that I mostly didn't like.
Now that I had the fabric, where do I start? Deciding on a log cabin, I cut all of 1/8 yards into 1 1/4" strips. After three blocks, I was tired of it. So I finished up a fourth block and thought, now what? Ah a border, that will take up some space. Wait, all of my strips are only 1 1/4". Flying geese, they are fallish right? Don't they fly south for the winter? I paper pieced 1"x 2" flying geese for the top and bottom to add a little height and create more of a rectangular quilt. That is where the gold came in. Little golden geese. Then I added the tiny stop border. Still left with all of my 1 1/4" strips, I sewed them all together, then cut them into 3 1/2" strips and made them into a piano key border.

Whew, done right? No, now comes the actual quilting. Trying to avoid the obvious choice of leaves, I really wanted something a little different and that had a little bit of my style in it. So I went with an unruley fall tree. All branches and no leaves. I love the way it came out. The colors on the fabric give the tree the feeling of having leaves and yet not at the same time. Anyway, I've blubbered on enough about it. It's done and it's going to get a lable by the end of this week. Then it's off to my partner, whom I hope loves it as much as I do.This may be the last swap for me - It's really getting hard to part with these little quilts. Maybe next time I'll just play along with a swap, and be my own partner. Are there any quilt challenges rather than swaps out there? One that challenges everyone, then posts all of the results on flickr?

9 comments:

  1. It's very clever and gorgeous. Your partner will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is AMAZING. I love it and it definitely says FALL. You are so talented.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! That is so beautful! Geez, I can't believe all the 1 1/4" strips. you're crazy! It turned out so pretty though. Do you do your own quilting, or does Konda do it? It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    Yes, I am a Crazy Old Lady too :)

    I do my own machine quilting on my sewing machine - not a long arm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! You did a GREAT job. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunning! you've become such a quilting pro since we first met!!! you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. april this is amazing!!!
    i chose green & brown so i know this isn't mine.
    tehehe.

    your partner is going to be SO pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again everyone!

    Rachel, I keep combing through all of the participant's blogs trying to find one that matches my choices too :)

    ReplyDelete