Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Here Comes the Sun...

do do do do....it's supposed to be sunny and 54 degrees today! I never thought this Southern CA girl would every feel that way about 54 degrees.

Thank you for all of the lovely comments about my quilt for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap. To no one's surprise, I'm sure, I went back to the fabric store and bought 8th yard cuts of all of the same fabrics to recreate the quilt for myself. I'm really not good at the trading thing.

The quilt and the theme of the FSQS really inspired me and got me thinking. I'm going to recreate the red quilt as a quilt block, then do a blue block (fabric purchased the same day:) with some sort of waves, and continue on doing a block a month, each block monochromatic with various seasons/nature themes. At the end of the year, I should have an amazing quilt - I hope!

In the mean time, I've been poking around on Ravelry a little. I've been on for a while, but seem to have been a slow starter. There are a plethora (did you get the Three Amigos reference ;) of knitting patterns that I love, but alas, I crochet. I did find this amazing pattern for a baby sweater that I had to try.

This was the first attempt. I used some thin baby yarn and a G hook and it came out very "newborn" size. Because of the yarn that I used, it was a bit too sparkly for my taste.Then I tried an H hook, which is the next larger hook and some Vanna's Choice yarn (not ready to commit to $15 a skein for a trial run). This one turned out just as I had imagined it. Since the photo shoot, I've added a little flower button at the neckline. Oh, and on this one I left off the optional ruffle on the sleeves. And I just found out a friend is expecting...and it's a girl. Perfect timing.

4 comments:

  1. How come so many of the fun patterns are for knitting? Can I use a larger hook and squeeze Kate into it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you could, it would just have more of a lace look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need another lesson AND andother project....ha,ha!! Seriously, the lesson would be great! Very Cute!

    ReplyDelete