This quilt is off in the mail to it's new owner. I hope she likes it. You know, really likes it. Remember that this is version two, since I couldn't part with the original. I did end up painting her cheeks and lips before I sent her off.
The background fabric is from a pillowcase that I picked up at a local thrift store.
So is the backing of the quilt. I was able to get in some more free hand machine quilting and I have to say that there has been some improvement. My stitches are becoming a little more even and uniform. You have to look hard to see it, especially on the front. My goal is to build up enough courage to move on to thread that stands out more, but there is something to be said about subtle - less obvious mistakes!
From all of the books I've looked at and people I've talked to - the only real trick to getting machine quilting down is practice. That and a pair of quilting gloves that you can pick up for under $5.
If you need me, I'll be standing out by the mailbox waiting for my Doll Quilt Swap 5 quilt to arrive.