Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kitty Litter Cake and Monster fingers - with recipes

Last night we had a great time with the young men and women. The menu included vomit - a chowder, goblin ears - fried green tortellini, bat wings - chicken, gooey guts - green spaghetti, a jello brain in a punch bowl with apple juice, a 4 foot anaconda pizza roll, deviled egg eyes, a kitty litter cake and monster fingers. I was put in charge of the kitty litter cake and the monster fingers.I know! I had never made the cake so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was given a recipe but no picture. Of course we served it with a pooper scooper -new- and the recipe called for a new cat box, but I had a cake container with a lid that worked out really well. And get this...it tastes great! So here is the recipe, just in case you want to throw it together for your family for Halloween or even for April fools day...

1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix - The color didn't seem to make a difference, so you could use any cake
1 package of white sandwich cookies
1 large package instant vanilla pudding mix
A few drops of green food coloring - I think blue would have been better
12 small tootsie rolls or equivalent - I used two of the huge ones and cut them down

Prepare and bake the cake mixes, according to the directions in any size pan. Prepare the pudding and chill. Crumble the cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Set aside 1/2 cup of cookie crumbs and mix in a few drops of green food coloring.

When the cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Poor into your "litter box". Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the mixture, scattering the green crumbs over the top.

Heat the tootsie rolls for a few seconds in the microwave. Form them into cat poops :). You can do this while the cakes are baking and cooling. Add the formed tootsie rolls to your cake - bury some to be discovered later. Enjoy!

The monster fingers were a hit as well and they are no bake. Just use a peanut butter ball recipe, shape them into fingers, add sliced almonds for the finger nails, add a red hot in the other end, using a knife add a few lines for detail. Oh, and once I had gotten there, they other ladies told me that they had forgotten one detail...you can add a pretzel stick to the center of the finger so that they crunch like a bone when you bite into them.

So off you go...make up some fun treats for your kids!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Those look so real! And disgusting, which is what you were going for, so good job!

    I'm headed for the bathroom to hurl now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! I've been wanting to try that kitty litter cake for a long time now - I really should give it a whirl - yours is great - I'm not gonna say it's poopalicious - oh wait - yes I am :D The fingers are cool too --- now when you give someone the finger, you can REALLY give them the finger!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These recipes look so real! Thanks for sharing how to do them. Next year they will be on my to do list. (I'm in Young Womens too)

    ReplyDelete