Saturday, July 12, 2008

Trying my hand at machine quilting.

Receiving the People's Choice award for There's No Place like home, and all of the lovely comments on the Cathedral Window Quilt have really put me in a quilting mood. So I thought I'd try my hand at a little free motion machine quilting. In reality, I'm trying to decide if I should take a class or if its just practice makes perfect.

I have had this quilt pulled together for some time now - over a year. I was actually hand stitching it, but after pulling it out again, I found that my stitches were more the size of a basting stitch. I love the quilt, the colors, the mix of flannel and regular fabric....but well, let's just say it was my first big quilt. Things don't match up exactly the way they should - which is OK.
I'm thinking this is the perfect quilt to really practice some free motion machine stitching. I did some free motion on There's No Place Like Home, but it was free form. I didn't have to follow a pattern. This time I've used the press n' seal method. You trace your pattern onto Glad press n' seal, then you sew directly on to the press n' seal and tear it off when you're done. Sort of like paper piecing. So far so good.

Oh, and a little bad news/good news. Bad news is I've received my partners info for the swap and let's just say that the pastel girly thing isn't going to work - more on that later- and I have to make another doll quilt (ok, not so bad news) and the good news is that I get to keep the Cathedral Window quilt. And...I'm still working on the Cathedral Window tutorial -hint, hint to my swap partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment