Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Don't you just love surprises?

What can be better than sewing and surprises? I was able to get in on my first blogy type swap - Doll Quilt Swap 4 - and I feel like a kid again. Remember when you would write to your pen pal in elementary school? It was such a great feeling...the excitement, the suspense. I'm feeling pretty excited at the moment. I whipped my part of the trade together this weekend.
This was my first attempt at a Cathedral Window quilt. There was a demonstration over at the local quilt show, so I thought I would try it out before it feel out of my brain - and what better way to try something new than on a small scale doll quilt. It's actually a lot easier than it looks.
The background fabric was a thrifted vintage pillow case - I think I remember the pattern growing up, does that make me vintage? Anywho, the center pieces are scraps from a grab bag at a local quilt shop. You know when you pay something like $2 a bag and stuff as many scraps as you can in the bag, then you get home and think what am I ever going to do with all of those little pieces.

Now the only question left is to bind or not to bind. You don't have to bind a Cathedral Window quilt because the edges are finished, but I'm having a hard time having a quilt that doesn't have a binding. It just seems wrong some how.

There is a button over in the column on the right for the Doll Quilt Swap if you want to check out what everyone else is coming up with.

12 comments:

  1. Oh man, that is cute, cute, cute! I'm sure the lucky gal (or guy? I think there is a guy in the swap, maybe?) that receives this is going to be tickled pink. I've tried starting one in the past, and those cathedral quilts are a lot of work, but definitely rewarding. I especially like the background floral -- it never occurred to me to use anything but a plain white or solid color for the background, but I really like how you used a print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started with patchwork 2 years ago, I used old clothes, pillowcases, etc. Then I learned I should use patchwork fabric - which is very expensive here in germany.
    Now I'm mostly back to patchwork using recycled fabric, shirts, thriftet stuff, pillowcases - and I find it nice every time I see something beautiful made from recycled stuff!
    Nothing else has this charm, and your small quilt has got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. A friend of mine has a queen size cathedral quilt and it blows my mind! Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness!
    i love your cathedral windows!!
    how lucky your partner will be! you are sending this one? or are you keeping for yourself? it is scrummy. could you do a tute or even just some words of advice on this, i have been tinkering with the idea of doing one....
    i say bind! :0) i feel the same way as you, it doesnt seem "done" without it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glory Be! I love it, love it, love it! I love it so much in fact that I blogged about it on my own site - Raisin Toast. I hope you will stop by and say hello. In the meantime, can you give a photo and blog demonstration on how you did this? That would be wonderful. I would love to make this for my daughter but it looks so complicated.

    Susan
    http://www.raisin-toast.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi April--Welcome as another Utah edition to Quilting Bloggers. I just joined about a month ago. You do lovely things! Nedra @Cactus Needle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I would love to see a tutorial for the Cathedral Window Quilt! Yay! Then I'll have to try it out myself.

    Susan
    http://www.raisin-toast.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just lovely! I really love that background fabric you used and how nice that it is a vintage recycled piece. I'd like to suggest you add a faux binding - just run a straight stitch a 1/4 inch in from all four edges. It will make the quilt look finished but not take away from the beutiful coposition you have already completed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely beautiful! oh how i hope that you are my partner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful! Please do a tutorial on your blog so that I can learn how to make that - I love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. your Cathedral Window quilt is gorgeous. i especially like how you used a flowered print for the "background" instead of plain white/ecru cotton. your partner is lucky, lucky, lucky!

    ReplyDelete