Sunday, June 22, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

The Quilt is done and hanging at the quilt show which opens tomorrow. I'm going to share it with you as it came together. First, the inspiration taken Halloween 2006...Then the quilt block. I enlarged the picture, then traced it using a light box. After I had the drawing, I was able to separate the pattern into sections, trace onto fabric, then attach to the background. The shoes are made out of a sparkling sequin fabric.
Next came the tornado. This was so fun to make. I used some embroidery floss and some shiny metallic stretchy string, then zig zaged across it on my machine. The only problem was that it pulled the material in and smocked it somewhat. I ended up appliquéing it on to a new background. You can't quite see the billowy wind machine quilting in the background on this picture. At the top you can see part of the gray zig zag with rainbow colors peaking through. I love how the movie starts in black and white, then ends up in color when Dorothy arrives in OZ.
Next came the yellow brick road. Do you see all of the different yellows in there? I paper pieced this brick road, then appliquéd it to the background. This quilt was my first attempt at machine quilting so I didn't follow any rules, I just went with the feeling of each block. There is some more traditional quilting in the sashing then free style everywhere else.
There you have it, the beginning of the quilt. More to come tomorrow or Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I can't wait to see more pictures - these blocks are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love it...can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you patterned the quilt Dorothy after Sara's Halloween Dorothy! That was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete