Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Bath Mat

As the end of the school year approaches, I can see that while my fun family time increases, my craft time is going to suffer a little. The need to snatch what time we can and find projects that are good on the go increases. Maybe some hand stitching. Hmm....

Squeezing in a craft project when the kids are in bed is always rewarding, isn't it? I whipped this mat together the other night. It's just a quick patchwork with a towel on the other side. I love the way the colors look in the bathroom...which is the brightest room in the house right now. Oh, and I guess the cabinets fit into the craft category. When we first moved in, they were a 70's orange/brown wood. Not in the cool retro way, it the yuck need to be replaced way. Nothing a little sanding and some black paint couldn't fix. Makes me want to go sit in the bathroom and catch a few rays of sun! Spring you taunt me ...here one day, gone the next.

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty! How big is it, and did you put any kind of non-skid stuff on the back? My boys' bathroom needs a couple of new mats - so does mine, actually, LOL. This would be a fun weekend project - thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I cut 5 inch squares and laid them out on the -cheap- towel that I bought. Mine ended up being 5 squares by 7 squares.

    I didn't put any non skid stuff, but it has been floating around the bathroom a little. I think I'll make that addition this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info, April - and as I was reading your comment, it occurred to me that the mat would be great in the kitchen as well. Now that the warm weather is here we have a lot of foot traffic going in and out through the patio door in the kitchen, so of course grass and dirt get tracked in ... I think that should be my first project - kitchen mat coming up, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool !! I really need to learn how to sew !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the motivation to get a bathmat done - had seen a tut ages ago on another site but never actually got around to it.

    First patchwork attempt so definitely has some areas for improvement but I'm smiling each time I see it!
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_qdyY3Be-7WM/SBaJdYmh6HI/AAAAAAAAAoY/ZVEBMua-gW4/s1600-h/bathmat.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea, thank you for adding it to our flickr groups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooooohooooooooo I got started on my first bath mat today - for my sons' bathroom! I've posted a picture on my blog if you want to take a peek, April - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just happened to stumble along your blog and I must say that this idea is so simple and yet so genius!

    I will definitely be whipping one of these up.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete