Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The fruit of my labor

This blanket has been an 8 year journey...When Sara was born, there was a lady at church that gave every newborn a receiving blanket. It was flannel on both sides and had this adorable crocheted lace edging. I loved that blanket and it was by far one of my most used blankets. I never thought about making one until a couple of years later, but I couldn't figure out how to make the holes around the blanket. I tried everything and at one point I had even given material to a friend whose mom had a machine that would do it. I later got the fabric back, because the machine wasn't working.After moving here to Utah, I've found several shops that will prepare your blanket for the crocheting. I have thought about doing that several times, but I'm not one of those people that can plan ahead for something like that, then remember to do it. It's now or never. Plus that seemed like cheating some how.
Then, last week at a sewing class, I heard the magic words....wing needle. It's this really wide needle that fits into your sewing machine. It works best with a fancy stitch like a star. You sew around the edge of the blanket and you get holes big enough to crochet in. You use a #8 crochet hook and #10 crochet string.

I think I'm in love! Oh and speaking of love, I'm in love with this card made by a dear friend of mine. Doesn't she do a great job? Definitely a great undiscovered Etsy shop!

6 comments:

  1. Adorable. That is my kind of blankie. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Congrats on your new toy...I mean tool! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am going to have to look into getting myself one of those wing needles! Do you think I could find info on it on-line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, that is a very cute card! I marked her as a favorite on our store. I really like the drink glass cards, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have mentioned that the wing needle was around $3 at the Bernina Store and I saw them at Joanne's the other day as well.

    ReplyDelete