Friday, February 1, 2008

Counter Quilt?

Is that what you would call this? It started out as a bath matt, but I just couldn't bring myself to throw it on the floor. There is a spot next to the sink that I set all of the hand washed items to dry - you know, the pots, pans and other things that don't go in the dishwasher. I usually end up throwing a tea towel up there to soak up all of the water, but I think this will do the job and look fabulous. The kids all agree that I should make a big one for snuggling.
My inspiration was a stack of the boys old jeans that I couldn't bring myself to throw out. With the knees blown out and stains here and there, they weren't good enough to thrift, so I just piled them up in the laundry room. The chick was inspired by something, a quilt maybe, that Amanda had done a while back.
Some fun machine and hand stitching, a thrifted sheet for the back and viola - Counter Matt/Quilt.
Sometimes, it's just the little things in life isn't it? A little counter matt with your kids jeans and a little chick to make you smile while you wash those dreaded dishes.

4 comments:

  1. I love that chick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt. Everything in a whole: the chick, the denim stripes and the beautiful backing. I have been collecting old jeans and I love to see how quilters discover new ideas for sewing it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, what a smart idea!!!we hand wash our dishes and i hate when i have to use a clean towel. this solves the problem! what did you line it with? this kind of reminds me of those japanese bath mats that are quilted. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, it was inspired by those japanese bath mats. I used hobbs batting.

    ReplyDelete