Thursday, August 16, 2007

Some one's in the Kitchen.....it's me!



This may sound like a comercial, but this book is awesome! I picked it up for a dollar at the thrift store (love those thrift store finds!). After trying it out, I've fallen in love. The basic idea is that you make these mixes that you can keep in your pantry for about 10-12 weeks. From the mixes you can make all kinds of good stuff.

I made the Quick Mix, Cookie Mix and Granola Mix. From these mixes I've made Fry Bread, Snickerdoodles, Peanut Butter Cookies and have chowed down on the Granola. I've never even thought about making granola before, but in that never ending quest to eat healthier I thought I'd give it a whirl - Yum!

The only problem that I had with the mixes is that they call for Vegetable Shortening, which is just not that great for you. I checked at my local health food store - dropped by to pick up all of the granola ingredients from those cool bins - and found a nonhydroginated Vegetable Shortening by Spectrum. I also used all of the "good for you" sugars and added soy protein mix to the Quick Mix and Cookie Mix. Why not sneak in a little extra protein into my kids diets?

I love doing it myself and saving time and money to boot! No preservatives to worry about either.

After checking on line, I found that Amazon had a newer version of the same book that came out Jan 2007. I was hip and I didn't even know it! Check out the new or old version:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-8006454-7383603?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=make+a+mix+cookery

No comments:

Post a Comment